сряда, 17 август 2011 г.

Review: EvilMrSod - "El Cuervo" EP' 2010 (English)



Country : Spain

Year : 2010

Label : Self-Released

Genre : Rock; Country Rock; Folk Rock; Blues Rock

Web Site : EvilMrSod Web Site




I play "El Cuervo" and from there whiff's me fresh country rock, folk rock. Since the work of minimalistic cover of Luqui Rodriguez, I feel that will be faced with something simple and beautiful. The background is that I was thrilled by a song of EvilMrSod, when I first heard his performance in the compilation "Disaster Week Festival". I was fascinated and won by a first look at the simple acoustic rock, folk rock, with infectious chorus and lyrics that are so that you find something that moves you, but in the case this is rock 'n' roll.
And that he writes beautiful, simple but catching blues, folk, country songs, could not be denied. The guitar is an instrument through which to transmit emotions and musical language becomes more expressive, and she driven by Pablo Ramon Rodriguez Rivero (which is real name of the composer, musician, singer and multiinstrumentalist EvilMrSod), sculpts thread alive and country rock, folk rock, blues scene. He definitely has the blues, folk rock charisma, and his live performances enjoyed great interest and could not be otherwise in music that he making.
Here it comes time to touch and with pleasure to write my impressions of his EP' "El Cuervo" (Raven) 2010.

In this mini-album, several people give a hand of EvilMrSod - Frederique Labbow (Die Happy; Fran Helay) - cello in "I'm Gonna Disappear"; Sean Moore (Comedian Pharmacists; The Slaters) - banjo, mandolin and backing vocals in "$ 606"; Oliver Grauer - co-producer, slide guitar and backing vocals in "I Love The Way You Hate Me", bass and backing vocals in "No Tomorrow", and bass in "$ 606". EvilMrSod playing electric guitar, acoustic guitar, ukuleles, percussion, drums, triangle, apart from the lead and backing vocals. Brilliant job done by all, and wrote a good old method of recording live in the studio, without using equipment, computers and other tricks, just pure natural sound.
Even with the opening "Boy You're Gonna Be Alright", EvilMrSod shows that he's strong in the writing of lines. Country guitar and honky-tonk rhythm, plus vocals, mellow vocals Pablo smacks of positiveness and composition all are wonderful. "She broke my heart, and I ask her why? And everything she said was: "Boy you're gonna be alright."" Beauty.
The second "$ 606" continues honky-tonk line, here is the merry banjo played by Sean Moore. Much more cheerful and rock. Feel how it is given to EvilMrSod to write revelations, and you fall into rhythm.
The next "I'm Gonna Disappear" oblivious to her presence close to the sound of "I Sold My Soul To Rock 'n' Roll", the story is something experienced before, "I'm gonna disappear for one, two, three, four years. These ain't worth the tears." Disappear after a few appearances, and then again, just like in life we ​​live. His lyrics are strong, close, human, earth and rock. You'll hear them in each of his songs. This composition is slightly sad, animated cello played by Frederique Labbow is here and live his lives. A Dylan-esque technique in singing is only plus in the palette.
"No Tomorrow" has a nice blues streak in the country, folk guitar and certainly quite grabs me. A solos and casualty which EvilMrSod playing his guitar cause I want to grab and learn magical tool that seems to me quite complex to learn, at least from me. Here he sings that "there is not and wants to learn the rules of the game" game of losers, and it comes from, that you should be yourself. This is a composition which I feel very close, as I said, why you think, because it is a revelation and goose bumps as I listen, and reminds me of all good, great rock songs. And it ranks right there with the best. Total, real country, but blues, straight shot me, and movements is required. Some say, that when artists are sad, abandoned, or in heavy periods or in a bad mood, write the best songs. EvilMrSod do not know if he was in such condition as he did "I Love The Way You Hate Me", but did play with the ironic "hatred, abandonment of all" and ridiculing it says: "I love the way you hate me, don't stop hate me so much", but he shall not cares, and you know that after hatred comes intense love. Slide guitar played by Oliver Grauer, country rock and atmosphere are perfect, sometimes blues, sometimes country, and still EvilMrSod mood.
The last composition with funny joke with his name "Elvis Made Me What I Am Today" was played on ukuleles, as well as "I promise you heaven, but hell is just the same", sung with a dedicated vocal, and so real and close, and finally EvilMrSod makes typical vocal numbers for Elvis Presley - like "O Yeah" and other techniques, and it's really fun and fresh.
EvilMrSod again uses his sharp tongue at times, but isn't this the most important thing for an artist - to be sincere and yourself. From this is born of true melodies of EvilMrSod. One day he can be a very big name, honestly.
EvilMrSod promises many new recordings and projects available with German folk rock songwriter Marceese, recorded with French rock musician Dallas Kincaid. Reviews from the press and online publications in Germany, where he lives now (more precisely, in Leipzig) and elsewhere are positive and capture the skill of EvilMrSod to writing nice melodies.
Pablo Rodriguez certainly has a lot to sing and make with his guitar, be informed. Listen to the album while you're alone in front of the grate, play it on your girlfriend, let's hear your neighbors. Finally, rock music has always reached dedicated people, and you're one of them, having heard this album.